Whiplash can occur suddenly due to a car accident, sports accident, slip and fall, or some other incident causing a fast, jerking movement of the neck. If you have experienced any kind of forceful movement resulting in neck pain, consider getting your condition checked out immediately by a chiropractic specialist to assess the damage and get effective relief.
A chiropractor takes the whole body into consideration when performing an analysis, developing a diagnosis, and creating a treatment plan. If the injuries and damage resulting from whiplash are left untreated, the problem can persist and cause even greater damage throughout the body.
Signs and Symptoms of Whiplash Injury
Some of the common signs and symptoms of a whiplash injury are:
- Neck pain
- Limited neck mobility and range of motion
- Tenderness or pain in the upper back, shoulder, or arms
- Tingling or numbness in the arms
- Dizziness or fatigue
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms after a car accident or other event resulting in a sudden, rapid movement of the neck, making an appointment to see a chiropractor could be the difference between getting out of pain through adjustments and care, and sustaining a long-term, chronic condition of the neck.
What Types of Techniques Do Chiropractors Use for Whiplash?
A chiropractor will use a number of techniques to help heal a whiplash injury, including:
1. Spinal manipulation: This specialized technique involves identifying the points of damage in the neck and spine and realigning the vertebrae and joints back into place through hands-on manipulations.
2. Soft tissue therapy: Due to the damage in the soft tissue often occurring as a result of sudden whiplash, this therapy option is a great way to restore muscle function. By applying pressure and stretching out the muscles harbouring excess tension, a chiropractor can relieve the damaged soft tissue and reduce pain.
3. Trigger point therapy: There are specific trigger points that will have limited range of motion or excess pain resulting from whiplash. A chiropractor can find these points of tension and restore movement in the joints by applying gentle thrusts which stimulate the nervous system and stretch out the tissues in the body. This brings the body back into alignment and reduces pain.
4. Gentle chiropractic adjustments: If the joints in the neck are misaligned, a chiropractor can utilize gentle adjustments and movements on the affected areas to ease them back into alignment.
5. Muscle relaxation or stimulation: For this method of treatment, a chiropractor uses finger pressure techniques to reduce built-up pressure in the muscles through relaxation. It can also be used to contract and release the muscles that are restricted, which relieves excess tension.
6. Instrument-assisted therapy: This form of treatment utilizes specialized tools and hand-held devices. A chiropractor uses it to apply gentle pressure to the areas of need in the neck and spine in order to alleviate pressure and bring everything back into alignment.
If you or a loved one have been in a car accident, slip and fall, or other sudden incident resulting in a whiplash injury, call our office today to learn more about how chiropractic care can help you.